Wednesday, February 16, 2011

That's no moon ...

... but it will be, once I get around to painting it.  I'm thinking the traditional grey and off-white of an airless, rocky, crater-pocked worldlet.

I found this styrofoam hemisphere for floral arrangements at a local craft store, but once I'm done with it, this will be a natural satellite orbiting the planet I made.  In addition to looking cool, this should make the tactical situation that much more interesting for my Galactic Knights games. 

I'm not an astronomer, but I think maybe such a moon could fit on the same table as its primary at the GK scale of 1,000 miles to the hex without coming within the Roche limit and breaking apart. 

So has anyone played a space game with more than a single celestial body on the playing surface?  Did the extra planetoids make the game more interesting, or just bog it down?

2 comments:

The Angry Lurker said...

When I played BFG from GW i must admit I used a lot but purely from a scenery point of view but they didn't bog the game down.

Dan Eastwood said...

Triplanetary has the inner solar system, but it is not a miniatures game, and I suspect it is not to scale.