Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday HotT Game

I wanted ckutalik of the Hill Cantons a break from his DMing duties, so I invited him out to Casa del Escriba this afternoon for some wargaming. I decided to introduce him to Hordes of the Things.

Although he has some DBA armies, Chris doesn't possess any army for HotT, so I let him chose between Surtr and the Sons of Muspel and the Nightmare Legion. He took the fire giants and won the roll for attacker. I set up the terrain as the defending skeletons.

As you can see from the photo at the top, I once again got really good milage out of my lurker--he took out a beasts element (doubled it!) and then tied up one more for most of the game. Although my opponent had some early losses, he came back to threaten my stronghold and my general. In the end, though, he lost his general and the game:

I almost feel bad for winning against an inexperienced opponent, but I did make recommendations on what to do and what not to do with his elements.  I'm sure (I hope) when (if?) we play again, he will eviscerate my army.  This game just came down to some really good die rolls on my part and some really poor ones on his part, such as when his behemoth attacked my stronghold and got doubled.

Instead of a play-by-play of the game, I've assembled some animated GIFs to show what happened. They're below the jump, so they don't distract people looking at other posts on the blog. Also, since the site I used to create them (Picasion) has a max of ten images per gif, I had to split the battle up into three parts. Have a look, and enjoy the Easter weekend.

(continued after the jump)




Part 1--Surtr and the Sons of Muspel venture from the northern forest into the city of the dead:

Part 2--Skeletal archers emerge from the ruins to vanquish approaching wildfires and one of the Sons:

Part 3--A fire giant makes an end-around for the skellies' stronghold as Surtr falls and the last giant flees:

No comments: