Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Firestorm Armada review roundup

My only experience with Firestorm Armada is driving 30+ miles to the final day of Chimaera Con for the FA tournament listed in the schedule, only to find out I needed to bring my own minis.  Still, the GM explained the game to me and the one other person who showed up (the second guy didn't have any miniatures either, and the game master didn't bring any of his own because he had figured he'd be running the tourney), and the rules do look interesting.  The miniatures aren't bad, either.

So once again, I've searched around the Internet for some reviews of this game:
Has anyone played this game?  If so, what did you think?

2 comments:

Martin said...

I've only played it properly once and it's fun. A very light weight (but still fairly tactical) starship combat game that allows you to field about 20 or so minis without much trouble.

If I'd make a complaint it would be that it feels... impersonal. I'm not sure if it's the abstractness of the rules, the absence of fluff or a combination of both.

The Full Thrust rules, for example, has a lot more "atmosphere" and makes for a more memorable game, in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun game, I just have a hard time getting really fired up about it.

Desert Scribe said...

Martin, thanks for sharing your thoughts. And nice job on your EDF fleet!