Monday, May 23, 2011

Wish I could make it to Houston this weekend

It's kind of short notice, but I just found out about this gathering on Memorial Day weekend: Comicpalooza in Houston.  This event bills itself as "the best and biggest annual multi-format pop culture convention in the southwest region of the United States."

While it covers all sorts of geeky subjects--comics, movies, sci-fi and fantasy, horror, steampunk, and new media--it's the gaming offerings that interest me.  Convention guests from the gaming industry include Steve Jackson and a couple of later-edition Dungeons & Dragons game designers, Chris Perkins and Chris Sims.

Most of the games are 4E D&D or Pathfinder, which aren't my thing, but I did notice a couple of miniatures events on the schedule: Undead States of America (a zombie game) and Universal Space Game System (spaceship combat), both by Ubergoober Games.

There's also a videogame setup that sounds really interesting: the Artemis Bridge Spaceship Simulator, created by Thom Robertson, which features several linked computers simulating the main screen and bridge stations of a starship.  I'd love to give this one a try.  Maybe someone can set this up at the next Millennium Con or Chimaera Con.

Is anyone planning on attending this convention?  If so, I'd love to see some photos.

1 comment:

J Womack, Esq. said...

There is also a Fields of Glory Ancients tournament, being organized by my friend Tom Lytle. I will be playing Byzantines, and acting as a speedbump for the contenders in the tournament.