Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Gaming goals for 2012

I don't make New Year's resolutions on this blog--or anywhere else, for that matter--but I do feel like sharing some gaming-related objectives that I hope to accomplish over the next 12 months.

GAMING: Before I get into specifics, let me note that I plan to keep up the game playing in general.  It's kind of difficult (and gasoline-intensive) when everyone else I game with lives 35-40 miles away, but I want to take part in more wargames, as well as continue to campaign in the Hill Cantons.  Anyway, here are my specific gaming goals for 2012:
  • Attend at least two Texas gaming conventions
  • Run at least one starship combat scenario at a gaming convention (Starfleet Wars or Galactic Knights)
  • Run at least one local starship campaign (Starfleet Wars or Galactic Knights)
  • Help organize at least one local Hordes of the Things gameday
  • Release Kill Radius, the starship combat rules I'm working on
MINIS & TERRAIN: Like most gamers, I tend to purchase miniatures faster than I can paint them.  I probably won't be able to break that habit.  I am, however, going to set a realistic goal and get some projects finished (please note, the items on this list involve stuff I've already purchased):
  • EDIT: (Thanks, Chris for the reminder) Scratchbuild an entire 28mm scale game board for Search for the Emperor's Treasure
  • Base and paint at least one new fleet of spaceships
  • Base and paint at least one new Hordes of the Things army
  • Build a 3' x 4' battle board for use with HotT, Song of Blades and Heroes, and other games
  • Get all my new miniature trees ready for the tabletop
  • Scratch-build some structures for 1/300 (6mm) sci-fi armor games like OGRE/GEV or Future War Commander--if not, then throw away all the crap I collected for that purpose
I have more projects kicking around in my head, but I figure this list here is at least somewhat realistic, even though it may be overly optimistic.  What's on your to-do list for 2012?

4 comments:

Chris Kutalik said...

You forgot scratch build an entire 28mm scale game board for Search for the Emperor's Treasure.

Matgc said...

I'd like to hear more about your Spaceship gaming ruleset (Kill Radius), as I'm working on a homebrew myself.

Desert Scribe said...

ckutalik, I was hoping you had forgot about the giant-sized SftET. Guess I'll have to put it on the list.

Matgc, Kill Radius is my attempt at a game that allows you to have dozens of ships on the board that doesn't take an entire weekend to play. It also has vector movement, and you can fit the stats for an entire fleet on a single page.

RavenFeast said...

Kill Radius? Tell us more, please!