Friday, August 31, 2012

Today's catch from Half-Price

Half-Price Books has a sale during just about every three-day weekend here in the States.  I got out of work early for the Labor Day holiday, so I stopped off at the HPB on my way home. 

I didn't find anything game-related, at least not directly.  I did, however, pick up this history book for three bucks, with an additional 20% off for the store's Labor Day sale.

The book is Bayonets for Hire: Mercenaries at War 1550-1789, by William Urban, and it focuses on the use of troops for hire in Europe during that time period.  I don't really game historical periods, but I thought the subject matter was interesting, and I would like to learn some more about European history.  Besides, the book might serve as inspiration for some scenarios or background that could translate to a fantasy or sci-fi setting. 

I haven't started reading the book yet, so I can't tell you whether it's worth the read (but for less than $3 on sale, I bet it is).  If nothing else, I have some reading material for the long weekend.  What about y'all?  Any purchases you will enjoy, or other plans for the holiday?

1 comment:

Sovereigneternal said...

I hit the half-price books jackpot Friday! A complete Holmes Basic boxed set in amazing condition for $10!