Thursday, October 10, 2013

Reinforcements by tread

Ed the THW Guy's previews of 5150: Battalion Commander and the upcoming OGRE Designer's Edition have me thinking about 6mm sci-fi.  I was the only bidder on an auction for some 1/285 SF tanks, so I can expand on my collection of OGRE/GEV minis. 

I scored two heavy war machines from the MAATAC line of miniatures, as well as a pair of Conqueror Mark 1 Heavy Tanks from some outfit called "The Weapons Shops of L.A." that shared the same address as In Service Miniatures of Lakewood, California.  Here's a size comparison with some of my OGRE vehicles in front (from left: Combine missile tank, superheavy, and heavy tank).
As you can see, these new vehicles are pretty massive compared to the conventional armor from OGRE.  They would fit in nicely as other factions' superheavies or larger cybertanks.  These minis also have me noticing that there's no Two Hour Wargames rules for massive tank battles just yet.
Also included in the ebay lot I won: a 1/300 scale fortification, part of the Tiny Terrain line by  the now-defunct Simtac, Inc.  This will come in handy for future tank battles. 

Yep, I want to play some massive tank combats now ....

3 comments:

 Ashley said...

A good catch on your part. Those MAATAC multi turreted models would work as alternative Ogre IMO. I take it you don't find the Ogre rules meet your needs.

Desert Scribe said...

Don't get me wrong--I still like OGRE, and I'm looking forward to the new edition of that game, but the mechanics and the background are so intertwined, it's hard to deviate from canon. For example, in the OGREverse the laser has eliminated aircraft on the battlefield.

I want a game where I can mash up aerospace fighters and OGREs and mechs and Slammers-style hovertanks and VTOLs and power-armored infantry and ...

 Ashley said...

I'm not so bothered about the loss of aircraft, but I can dig that. BTW I've put you blog link on my front page of mine.