Sunday, May 24, 2015

Sci-fi transport

Picked up this model from eBay to use as terrain, an objective, or even a vehicle in my sci-fi tank battles such as Ogre.
This monstrosity is called the Thunderwolf heavy lift helicopter, and it's from the Mega Force line of toys by Kenner that came out in the early 1990s. (I have a few other vehicles from this range; they make great additions to your 6mm scale armies.)
In my games, it will portray a heavy vehicle transport. Since this one is missing a rotor, I will probably take off the remaining blades (as well as the improbably large gun turrets) and call it an ekranoplan--which fits in nicely with the lack of strategic air capability in the Ogre background.
As you can see, this thing is huge--it makes a Mark III Ogre look like a dwarf! However, it can carry only a couple of conventional armor units at a time.
If I used this vehicle in a game, I'd give it GEV movement of 4/3--but only on water. I would also make it fairly tough because of its size, maybe a defense of 3. If it's destroyed, so is whatever it was carrying. I'll even throw in a couple of antipersonnel guns, but this is a transport, not an attack craft.
Or I may just put it on the map as a scenario objective. Maybe it's carrying modules to build a prototype Ogre that each side wants to capture. And maybe the Ogre's partially functional ...

9 comments:

Nobody667 said...

That is a cool addition to your OGRE forces. It would make an interesting objective marker, or you could even work it into a "get to the transport" scenario or something.

Don M said...

I have four of those beasts, KMART
was selling off their Mega Force line of toys in stock at a steep discount in 94 and I bought the lot! I'm thinking of using this particular aircraft in 15mmsetting as I normally use 1/144th scale aircraft in my 15mm games.

Malcadon said...

Ah cool! I used to have those toys back in the '90s.

If I saved some of my old toys, I would have line of tank, aircraft and landship miniatures form MegaForce, and a line of high-tech troop figures (each figure can stand in as a squad or platoon of troops) from Xpanders.

Unknown said...

Are you KIDDING?? This was one of my favorite pieces from that entire toy line! Very jealous.

Definitely give it double use in some 15mm sci-fi.

Colgar6 said...

If you did want this to be an aircraft rather than a ground effect vehicle then it might be possible to remodel the pods on the wing tips into engines? Perhaps with a 90 degree rotation to give VTOL capability?

Gonsalvo said...

"I'm afraid the Ogre is fully operational..."

 Ashley said...

Nice catch and you've given me ideas.

Unknown said...

It also looks plenty easy enough to model a new rotor out of plasticard or something. And then it wouldn't need to be bold royal blue...

Lasgunpacker said...

Ah, I have one of those! Loved it when I was a kid, although even then I thought it improbably armed (it also has some ICBM sized missiles)